TopBand: Not hearing, one way propagation.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Not hearing, one way propagation.
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:09:38 +0000
> To:            topband@contesting.com

> I don't think this is a quirk, because it happens all of the time.
>
> 73, de Earl, K6SE

Remember the noise level and QRM at the other end means an awful lot
on low bands.

Below the MUF, the signals are always there. The only reason we
usually don't hear them is they are buried in noise. With such a wide
variation in local noise levels, both for time of day, season, and
day to day... it isn't a big surprise this happens.

At sun set, we are getting propagated noise mostly from one
direction. The people east of us are getting noise and QRM from
everywhere, and I doubt many Europeans have directional antenna
arrays on their receivers. For an example of this, look at how the
noise floor drops in the USA at or just after sunrise.

73, Tom W8JI