TopBand: Beverage terminating resistor

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage terminating resistor
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 09:50:03 EST
On Sun, 09 Nov 1997 01:54:55 EST k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
writes:
>Bill, K0HA wrote:
>> Why is there so much concern on Beverages and Yagis on front-to-back
>>ratio?  I always design my Beverages and Yagis to have a small back
>>lobe with two nulls on either side of it to increase the size of the
>>null area...
>====================
>Hi Bill,
>
>I don't know if there is any concern about F/B ratio for Beverages,
>but IMHO, I feel the reason the Beverage is such a good receiving
>antenna is that it's so quiet (it's certainly not because of it's
>negative gain!).  And it's quiet merely because it's directional (not
>that it's horizontally polarized, which is untrue -- it responds
>mostly to vertical polarization).

I thought the Beverage responded to low arrival angle signals and
polarization at the TX end was not a concern.
Of course most low angle signals are generated by verticals.

IMO F/B and F/R is very important to the SNR. A lot of noise is created
by others on the band and a reduction in clicks, thumps, phase noise,
splatter,  etc is always welcome.
Thanks to you, Tom, Eric and others for adding so much good technical
information to the reflector.
To each his own but it sure beats SWL reports to this "techie".

73  Carl  KM1H