TopBand: slinky beverage - VK style?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: slinky beverage - VK style?
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:37:19 EST
On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 06:18:14 -0500 "J.V. Staples, Jr."
<kt4u@earthlink.net> writes:
>       Why not make your own. They can be wound on a card board form
>using a
>lathe or you can hand wind them. Attached a crank to one end of the
>form
>and mount the form on V blocks on the ends. Have some one feed the
>wire
>while you crank. You can use what ever size insulated wire you desire.
>This
>way you can make the coils as long as you want and they can attached
>in
>series with bullet connectors to obtain the length that you want.
>Forms
>i.e. rolls can be found at fabric shops, carpet stores etc. Plastic
>tubes
>i.e. PCV can also be used and would be better because of their
>strength.
>       When you need to take them up off the ground, slid the wire
>back over the
>form. The wire may be suspended off the ground but you will need many
>supports.
>GL   JV

I do not believe that would work very well in practice. Try a quick test
of your own: Wind 90 close wound turns 3" diameter ( the same as a single
Slinky). Then attempt to stretch out over 35' or so while maintaining the
shape, then multipl that by 5 or more for the full length antenna.
I would suspect that the number of supports would be a large fraction of
the number of turns.
A Slinky uses edge wound spring steel which holds its shape; something
that ordinary copper wire can not do.

Another alternative for Steve, VK6VZ, is to be patient for a bit. I will
call the manufacturer and try to obtain a list of Aussie dealers.
Unfortunately Steve, I will have to broadcast this over the reflector,
unless your Internet provider will now accept JUNO based E-Mail.

73   Carl   KM1H

To: <topband@contesting.com>