TopBand: Condx

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Condx
From: csus04@lmpsil02.comm.mot.com (Raymond Dave-CSUS04)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:14:21 -0600
Some interesting things happening last night.  The band opened here in
owa well before sunset.  With the nice, low A & K numbers, the band was
very quiet. . . really didn't need the European beverage much until
later in the evening.  Late in the afternoon here abt 2100 or so (more
than an hour before local sunset), there were several nice signals from
western Europe.

I left the house and returned to the radio about abt 03:30z.  Condx had
changed somewhat.  The usual western European Gs, DJs, were all pretty
weak here.  YL2SM was very weak here.  I attempted a qso with him but
would not want to count on it being complete.  SV8SJ was weak but
copyable.  Many stateside stations calling him (including east coast)
but very few getting through to him.  I did not complete a qso with him.
no copy here on the FH.

The highlight of the evening was 4X4NJ.  He started gradually building
and peaked to 579 at his sunrise.  This is by far the best signal I've
heard from him.  He was still in there 45 minutes after his sunrise but
had faded to almost no signal.  Unfortunately, I did not get him worked.
. . another time.

73. . . Dave, W0FLS