Re[2]: TopBand: Shunt Fed Tower Question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re[2]: TopBand: Shunt Fed Tower Question
From: George.Guerin@kellogg.com (George Guerin)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 09:34:58 -0500
--IMA.Boundary.643283088

     Don, K5AQ wrote back on Bill, K2TQC's question:

"Bill,

The use of an extender wire at the top of the tower is shown in  W1FB's
 Antenna Notebook, page 49.

I'm sure there are other references but this is a quick one.

Don   K5AQ"
----------
To: <topband@contesting.com>
> Date: Monday, November 24, 1997 5:58 AM
>
> Easy question for the experts.  Why isn't there ever any mention of
> extending the electrical length of shunt fed towers with horizontal
> wires off the top?  Wouldn't this be quite similar to the inverted L
> idea?   I have a 54 foot tower with a WARC yagi and TH6 at the top. I
> presently shunt feed it with an omega match.  Would I improve its
> performance by adding a 50 foot or so horizontal wire from the top??
> Thanks,  Bill  K2TQC

Hi All,

I have the following comments:

1. It may be the same drawing, or not, but I saw a sketch
where the shunt feed rod/wire went up to a few feet below
top of tower.  In this case about 50 feet, and then the
get more current higher on the tower:

                o----|o----o    <--- yagi

                     |          <---mast
            o---o----|o-----o---o    <--- yagi
top loading wire->   X--o--------------------------------O-
                     X  |
                     X  |
tower----------->    X  |
                     X  |   <- shunt feed rod/wire
                     ~  ~

                     ~  ~
                     X  |
                     X  |
                     X  o <--- omega match connection point
------------------------------------------------ <- radials
///////////////////////////////////////////////    & ground

The top loading wire may need to be longer than the 50 feet
mentioned by K2TQC.

2.      Simply putting up an inverted L wire, 50 foot up and
78 feet out supported from your tower will give you a
resonant antenna over good radials with a feed point
impedance of 15 to 20 ohms.   An UnUn or L - net will get to
50 ohms easily.
Note, adding about 7 or 8 feet to the length of the wire
makes the inductor in the L network.  Then a shunt capacitor
across the coax, may be 1500 to 2500 pfd... you need to
experiment or measure feed point impedance and calculate the
L network..  will bring the antenna to 50 ohms.

Good luck,  George    K8GG
--IMA.Boundary.643283088--