TopBand: Balloon antennas for 160M

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Balloon antennas for 160M
From: michon@eatel.net (Mike Michon)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 07:49:38 -0600

----------
To: <topband@contesting.com>
> Date: Tuesday, December 02, 1997 6:32 PM
>
> Hello to all !
>
> I am looking for information on balloon antennas on 160M. What heights
> have been used, and is there a optimal height ?

Dear Jerry,

We use a balloon vertical about 140 feet.  We have tried higher, but not
much difference. We use about 60 radials of varying lenghths.  Also, we use
a second balloon about midway up the wire.  This seems to keep the vertical
more vertical in the wind. The two balloons oscillate in different
directions most of the time and it helps keep them straight.

We have found nothing that helps in a big rain.  Down it all comes.  Pray
for good weather.  Looks like a spectacular weekend for southern
Mississippi.  If we have half as good conditions as last year it will be a
great contest.

My friend Richard WA5NYG and I are leaving in  about an hour to head to the
farmhouse to start putting up antennas, station etc.  Hope to see you in
the conteset and good luck with the balloon antenna.

One other thing.  We use a 60 foot mast tied to  a ladder tied to a tree.
This keeps the balloon out f the trees as we are in a heavily wooded area.
The antenna goes to the base of the mast, about 8 feet oo the ground, but
tied off at top of the mast, the balloon doesn't have to carry as much
weight then and the pivot point is almost at the tops of the trees.

Mike Michon
AB5XP

Participating in Multi Op Entry from Mississippi with W5ZDW, KC5XX, WA5NYG.
See you Friday night.

Leif, if you read this, I will be looking for you in the DX window.  We
will have EU beverage.

VK6VZ If you still need MS for WAS, we will listen at sunrise on Thursday
And Friday mornings on 1.818.