TopBand: YB0ARA/9 Contest conditions on 160 meters

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: YB0ARA/9 Contest conditions on 160 meters
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 07:14:20 -0500 (EST)
Condition's where not all that good again !  The JA's where there along
with a few VK's and one BV7.  I worked VK6HD, heard JA3OND working Jeff and
the BV was QSX in the JA portion of the band.  Never did hear any USA or
Europe !  I heard bit's and pieces of stations from time to time, but never
with copy that allowed me to get a call out of the QRN.  The problem here
is that we finally started our rainy season.  This is a very late start !
 We would normally be just out of the rainy season.  Last year at this time
I had very little thunderstorm activity, this year lot's.  Right now as I
type we are having a very large thunderstorm passing through !  Lucky that
we really need the rain, so that is one good point even if 160 is a mess.
 I have a International Red Cross relief operation starting this week do to
the lack of rain !

On the good side, I got the off center feed dipole up and working this
weekend.  It seems to take power on all of the bands and the SWR is below
3:1 and in most cases below 2:1 so the antenna tuner work's well with it.
 As the feed is now coax and is off set from the vertical, still using the
same tree, it does not seem to bother the vertical, nor does the vertical
seem to bother the dipole.  With the little time I have had with it, I
found that rain or sun shine the loading stay's the same and it seems to
work as well as the open feeders did.  So this means I can be a bit free to
play with a 160 meter antenna as I won't need 80 or 40 meter's with the
vertical anymore along with the fact that neither antenna appears to have a
problem with the other in it's normal place.  I still want to play with it
through the week and then next Saturday secure everything on the dipole and
Sunday take down the present wire vertical and try an inverted "L" if all
continues to go well.  Still on most nights around 1.826.5 waiting for the
opening and a reduces noise level !

Phil YB0ARA/9