TopBand: Bad Times/Good Times (You Know I've Had My Share)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Bad Times/Good Times (You Know I've Had My Share)
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:31:19 -0800
Last night I turned the radio on around 0330z.  The band was in
generally poor shape to Europe then.  Most Europeans were better
on either my 43 or 86 degree Beverages (rather than the more common
[longer] 30 degree one).  I had some frustrating times calling
stations around the noise level (eg US5IRW, OF3JF, etc).  OF3JF was
just above the noise level around 0430.  By the time that the east
coast callers were done, he was just BELOW the noise level--time
for a break...
  Things had changed by 0530 when I listened again.  After that the
30 degree Beverage was better and the Soviet area stations were at
their strongest level of the year here.  EU6DX had an excellent signal.
LY2BR was still strong after his 0642 sunrise.  UX0UN, UA1KT and RU1AO
were also worked.  After that the EU path seemed to produce some up/
some down stations compared to normal levels...

73,  Bill     K0HA   (Brown Eyed Man)