TopBand: Not Boring Report - N6TR/7

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Not Boring Report - N6TR/7
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 08:57:48 -0800 (PST)
Last night, things didn't look very good until the band "went down
15 db" in the MidWest.  Those 15 db must have moved out west so we
could hear stations.  A few weak dits or dahs from the DLs, but SL3ZV,
SM5BFJ and OH3ES were worked.  SL3ZV was really pounding in (589 on
peaks).

Got up in the morning around 1415 UTC and called a few CQs.  One
response came back and it took a few tries to get the call (with
a little help from another local).  SM2EKM eventually peaked up to
559 solid copy!  What a blast - except for FJL, I had never worked
Europe in the morning.

Over the next hour, I also worked OH1NOR and SM5BGJ.  OM3PC was hearing
me 449 (per packet), but I couldn't pull him out...  heard a "3" once,
but that could have been another station (RK3PA per chance?).

The QSO with SM5BFJ was around 1522, and I finally dashed off to
work around 1540 (great sunrise in the works).

With Trey around after tomorrow morning, we will try to hit the morning
time really hard for the next week hoping for another opening in the
morning.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com

PS: Audio samples to follow (I have it on tape)