TopBand: Beverage antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage antenna
From: michon@eatel.net (Mike Michon)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 07:32:58 -0600
LIfe slowed down long enough yesterday for me to talk to my neighbor about
an antenna in his pasture.  He said I was a responsible enough looking
person and he would let me put one up.

Took down the 510 foot Rx loop and made it a Beverage of sorts.  Tenf eet
high at one end, for about 300 feet, and then sloping to ground level.  Fed
it with the RG something or the other twisted pair coax.  Suopposed to be
95 ohms.  Put a toroidal balun at the end and matched it to 45 ohms in the
shack with Autek Analyzer.

I don't have one end terminated with resistor and ground.  The way I
understand it this would just make the antenna bidirectional.  Is that
correct, or do I need the resistor and ground at the desitred direction
end??

December 21 st was great, heard and worked 3 new countries, EA6, G3, OM.

Last night with the new beverage, it was back to the usual, listen to
everybody work Dx and I can't hear squat.  Is there anyone else in
Louisiana on this reflector??  Is there some sort of RF Shield at 1.8 MHZ
that the State has built to protect us here??

160 meters is starting to remind me of Golf.

Thunderstorms today and tonight here, but I will be back for some more
doses of humility provided by Top Band.

Mike Michon
AB5XP
44033 Hwy. 42