TopBand: receiving antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: receiving antennas
From: stans@netos.com (Stan Seiffert)
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 10:49:30 -0800
Merry Christmas

After reading all the interesting posts on beverages vs. transmitting arrays  I
am wondering whether anyone else has had my experience? and if perhaps if qth
or transmitting antenna height makes a difference.
Over the years I have built several beverages, one wire and two wire, end fed
and center fed mostly 600 ft long with various terminations and amplifiers, a
ewe, several different magnetic loops, a full wave horizontal loop 10 ft high,
a snake,  sloping delta , elevated 600 ft long wire,  etc. (I have undoubtedly
forgotten some).  All these antennas were in quiet locations over rough, poor
ground and usually several hundred feet from my transmitting antenna  They
usually worked, but, in no case did they outperform my transmitting antenna
which was usually a short (40 ft) toploaded vertical or array of 2 or 4 short
verticals.  The only exception was at sunrise to VK when a low inverted vee
outperforms the verticals on both transmit and receive.  Most of my dxing is
with the ocean or sunlight behind  me.
I would like to hear from anyone else with similar experience or is it just me?

73   Stan W7AWA