TopBand: Static on dipoles

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Static on dipoles
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 06:27:05 +0800
As the Australian summer moves into its later stages, we get lots of trouble
with static from thunderstorms, wind, etc.  On a bad night, I can draw a
spark a couple of inches long off the end of my inverted-U dipole - even if
there are only storms thousands of km away.

This gives great fears for the safety of my Rx 'front end,' particularly on
160m with so much wire up in the sky.

Does anyone out there have some ideas/information/information sources on
overcoming this problem and on suitable preventative devices, either
commercial or homemade?  I have seen stuff about dealing with this problem
on verticals, but nothing about dipoles.

Mni tnx!

73,

Steve, VK6VZ