TopBand: 160 M gathering at Dayton Hamvention

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160 M gathering at Dayton Hamvention
From: gtaft@voyager.net (gtaft)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 15:48:01 -0800
I have been gathering preferences for which nite, during the 98 Dayton
Hamvention, we might hold a social hour and dinner for those DXers
interested in 160 Meters.  This would be the 4th year, I believe, we have
assembled together for such a "160 M gathering".  The group has grown
from 12 or so to last years' 45 attendees.

We tried to keep it low key and simple - without major fanfare, programs,
countdowns etc.  We have traditionally chosen a restaurant that we let us
order from their menu and pay individually.  Last years' gathering was,
as most of u know, held at Neil's Heritage House Restaurant - in a cozy -
maybe not quite large enough room.  But very few complaints - as I think
most attendees realize it's difficult to find such a place during the
Hamvention.

Recently, 39 low band DXers responded to our preference poll of whether
to have it Friday or Saturday nite during the Hamvention.  I also
solicited comments abt last years' place. In regards to which nite, the
preference was a convincing 21 for Friday nite - 9 preferring Saturday
nite.  Nine also responded as having either nite available.

Comments were few abt the Heritage House - giving me the impression, the
place served our needs.  I am holding the same room again this year for
either nite and I understand they have a larger room available downstairs
that can hold 160 (!) but one then has to commit to a fixed number of
meals, have a set buffet meal and pay on one check.  Some of those
requirements make such a move difficult.  Other places would probably
require similar conditions.  Anyway Randy, W9ZR the originator of this
gathering, a I will be discussing the situation.

If any of you have further comments or ideas, pse share with Randy or I
on Email (believe Randy is still W9ZR@aol.com).  Pse don't write for
reservations yet - we will do that somewhere down the line.

Tks for ur time

73  George  W8UVZ