TopBand: Windows

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Windows
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:49:03 -0800 (PST)
Well, this subject comes up after each of the major 160 contests.
There were a few clueless people on the west coast, but they seemed
to QSY after being reminded.

Out here, the window consisted of stations like V47NP, TI1C, YS1X,
P49I and the like.  In the morning, it had VK6VZ, V73GT and a UA0
or two.

Since we never heard a Europen in Oregon, it wasn't an issue.

I think the USA should not be allowed to CQ from 1830 to 1840.
Perhaps EU should not be allowed to CQ from 1830 to 1835?  I just
don't know where the big guns from Europe would have hung out
where the west coast could have heard them in-between the big
signals from the USA.  In the Stew Perry test, it was much easier
to find them, mostly because there were fewer USA guys CQing
in the generally accepted DX hangouts, and of course because
conditions were better.

Sure, the guys with big antennas can pull them out, but I would like
to see us try to make the contest more conducive to giving the newcomer
to topband an opportunity to make their first European QSO.

My only other comment is that it sure was disappointing getting the
same two points for working someone in Florida as another W6.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com