TopBand: 3DA0CA

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 3DA0CA
From: w9vne@fuse.net (James S. Danehy)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 23:02:24 -0500
This is my first full time effort on Top Band. What a thrill when the
band is "cooking". I spotted the 5B4/UA2FF operation on the local N4XSQ
(N. KY.) packet cluster. One of the locals on the other side of
Cincinnati asked me if I was really hearing them. I said yes 579. The
local (W8QID) could not hear a whisper. We continued chatting and he
asked me about 3DA0CA. I told him that I was parked on what I thought to
be 3DA0CA's frequency listening. It was 0330 and I was about to throw in
the towel because I think that is past his sunrise by a good bit. All of
a sudden there he was. I told W8QID that I was hearing 3DA0CA good
enough to call him. Well I probably did something I should not have done
. Probably out of habit I dropped my call once (tailending). That did it
and he responded. I apologize if tailending is improper protocol or
etiquitte on Top Band. He was really pounding through 579. I was about
to take the headphones off and call W8QID on the telephone. All of a
sudden W8QID started hearing him. That proves to me that 20 miles makes
a BIG difference. Number 88 for me in three months. This beats all of my
other years of DXing. I told myself I would stop when I got to 100. I
may have to push on. I got hooked.

This reflector sure is a great asset and I want to thank Bill W4ZV for
his effort as well as Chris ZS6EZ. One-sixty continues to be the
"gentlemen's band".

Thanks

73

Jim W9VNE (Cincinnati)