TopBand: W4ZV SOHP CQ 160 CW Results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: W4ZV SOHP CQ 160 CW Results
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 07:33:10 -0500 (EST)
QSO's  Q-points  W/VE   DX    Score
1192     4199     58    61   499,681

Equipment:  FT-1000MP & Alpha 76PA
Antennas:  180' Shunt fed vertical, 7 Beverages (580-1000 ft)

This was my first CQ 160 from my NC QTH.  I was pleased to beat my
'97 stats from W3LPL with more Q's (1192 vs 1182), more US/VE mults
(58 vs 56) and more DX mults (61 vs 58).  However, my QSO points were
far down (4199 vs 4507) due to fewer QSO's in Europe (188 vs 236) so
my total score was about 2.7 % less! (513,798 last year).

Comparing the logs shows some strange things...fewer northern EU (even
missed LA) but some deeper EU on Saturday night (numerous UA's, UR's,
LZ's, SV).  I even had 9K2MU call on Saturday!

I slept a little more this year since I was at home and not under
pressure to squeeze out every QSO as a guest op.  It will be interesting
to see some results from the Northeast since I had the feeling they
were doing much better into Europe and did not have the same levels of
noise to contend with...but that's what I get for living in the Sunbelt!

As several have already noted, there was exceptionally good observance
of the DX window this year.  I personally do not agree with the window
concept in a contest but, since it IS in the rules, I'm happy most are
observing it.

Thanks to all for a fun weekend...and then the Bronco's topped it off
by finally winning a Super Bowl!

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV