TopBand: Follow-up: 2 wire center fed Beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Follow-up: 2 wire center fed Beverages
From: ni8l@raex.com (K8DX, Scott Detloff)
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 19:21:33 -0500 (EST)
Just before the CQ 160M CW contest I put up a two wire
Beverage 740' long NE/SW.  Although I worked alot of
Europeans, they were really weak, and I wasn't happy
with the performance at all.  I was beginning to doubt
that a Beverage could really be fed at the center ( or
in my case near the center) when I asked the question
of "what could I be doing wrong?"  I only received a few
if I had been terminating the "unused" feedline.  I took
my 50 ohm 2W dummy load ( a PL-259 with a 50 ohm
resistor from center to ground) and all of the sudden
signals jumped up about 20Db!  What a lifesaver!
Thanks again John for that info!  Now to just get my
6 position Beverage box built that terminates the unused
feedlines :-)

Hope this helps all who have had problems with their center
fed Beverages that asked for the info that I received from
the post.  Just wish I could have had it working in time for
the CQ 160M CW contest!

Being able to hear on 160M is AWESOME!

73...Scott K8DX