TopBand: Electric Fence RFI

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Electric Fence RFI
From: RandyMartn@aol.com (RandyMartn@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 01:45:52 EST
I am trying to fix a noisy electric fence that my neighbor has.  I just
discovered it today, and have not had a chance to talk with him as it appears
he is out of town for the weekend.  The QRN is very loud S-9 plus on pulses,
but also seems to be there intermittently when the loud pulse dissapears.  The
on-off cycle seems to be about 1 second ( 1 second on, 1 second off).

Does anyone out there have any pointers for me?  I see in the ARRL RFI
handbook that they recommend an AC line filter along with a capacitor across
the automatic switch.  How big should this capacitor be?  I was going to just
try 0.01 mfd to begin with and see if that does the trick.  I will also look
for any bad insulators, etc.  I looked around tonite and couldn't see any
visual arcing.

Please respond directly, and not via the reflector.

Thanks in advance.

73,
Randy K0EU