TopBand: Receiver Survey Follow-up

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Receiver Survey Follow-up
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 17:37:56 EST
Klaus, DJ6RX gave me permission to post this message he sent to Riki,
4X4NJ. It seemed fair to let others see his comments about the FT-1000MP,
TS-930, FT-1000D, and R-4C.

73, de K6SE
===================
On Mon, 9 Feb 1998 16:17:24 EST Dj6rx@aol.com wrote:

"Riki,
Be aware the F-T1000MP creates spurious output on 160.  Yaesu told me
they can't improve it.  My FT-1000MP was in for service 3 times after I
got complaints from EU stations hearing my CQs simultaneously on two or
three frequencies (loud) on the band.  I sold mine after 12 months.  The
DSP did not improve receiving that much, QSK was worse than with the old
TS-930.  The RX was not usable on my log periodic without additional
external bandpass filters.

Now I have a new FT-1000D.  The transmit signal is Ok, QSK is better.  It
also needs an external bandpass filter when using the log periodic.

On 160/80 with STRONG signals nearby (1..2 KHz away from the passband) I
hear some funny mixed CW signals.  The loud CW signals mix somewhere and
the sum or difference appears in the passband.  This is a problem the
FT-1000MP did not have (nor the old TS-930).

I sold my Drake C-Line a long time ago for the same reasons you
mentioned.  And I'm sorry I did sell it.  The R-4C was great for weak
signal work on the low bands.  DJ8WL still uses his Drake RX!  Don't give
it away.

Thanks for the SIXER during the Marathon.  Did not go full time, but had
fun
though low band conditions were lousy here.

73 / Klaus"

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]