TopBand: MIKE AND ULF DID IT !

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: MIKE AND ULF DID IT !
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:28:23 -0500 (EST)
Peter DJ8WL asked me to forward this since he is not currently
a subscriber to the reflector.

Hello friends on top-band,

just a short story about an extraordinary achievement....

Ulf/DJ5QY (in last winter) worked the USA with a small indoor magnetic
loop. You might have read the story published on the reflector....

This winter Ulf planned to do some more dxing with his indoor loop
the diameter of which is roughly 3-4 ft (!). Ulf does not run high
power. The tuning capacitor to resonate the loop would not tolerate
such a "treatment"... Ulf only runs about 80...100 watts.

I got in touch with Mike/VK6HD since I knew Mike would be interested
in an experiment like this. Mike was on the band almost every night
sometimes strong (with lots of folks calling and covering Ulf's weak
signal) sometimes not so strong but then condx would not permit a
qso...

We all waited patiently - We knew it was going to happen some day....

A few nights ago - Mike was calling CQDX with no replies from EU
(unbelievable but true!).

I quickly called Ulf and he began to transmit with his indoor loop.
A little help from my side was required to give Mike some beeps on
Ulf's frequency. And Mike came back with RST 319 (later 539) for
Ulf!

Folks, that's a moment in someone's life to be remembered.

                    Mike and Ulf did it!

You do not need huge towers or high power - all you need is patience,
hamspirit and a lot of enthusiasm. What a pleasure to witness such
great moments! That's "DXing on the Edge - The Thrill of 160 Meters!"

Thanks, Mike! Good luck to Ulf (he is now looking for South-Amerika...)

Greetings to all!
Peter / DJ8WL