TopBand: 9M0C & QRN - some hints

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 9M0C & QRN - some hints
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 23:51:57 -0600
N4KG  comments intersperced in text -

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998 07:18:29 -0500 Rolf T Salme
<Rolf_Salme@compuserve.com> writes:
>I can fully appreciate the heavy QRN problem faced by the operators at
9M0C,
>having been at the "receiving end" myself as XV7SW on Top Band.

>In this kind of tropical QRN, each QRN bang often lasts long enough to
mask
>a callsign completely, when callers use QRQ. From the DX end you may
just
>understand that somebody is there and call QRZ?, but the same thing will

>happen again at the next bang, the next one - and the next and so on,
>if the speed is too high.

        QRN  levels  in  W4  are no joy either !    (N4KG)

>So I found it tremendously helpful when people reduced the speed. Once
>you are able to pick out a letter here and there, you may be able to
paste
>together a full callsign and eventually make it.
>
>Someone may say that QRS is a waste of time - maybe so, but it is even
>more a waste of time for the DX station to listen to a QRQ call 15-20
times
>and never make it at all.

        IMHO,  QRQ  on the LOW  BANDS  by  DX  stations
        contributes to CONFUSION and DISORDERLY  CONDUCT
        in the pilueups.   Half of the callers can't copy anything but
        their own callsigns, even with a good signal on a quiet band.
        Throw in QSB, QRN, wrong VFO calls, stations tuning up,
        and you soon have CHAOS.       (N4KG)

>>From the DX's side, sending QRQ can probably be applied all the time,
>since reception is probably better at the other end. However, when you
>yourself as a DX use high speed, I often found it hard to convince
people back
>home that only they should reduce the speed. No pun intended, but QRQ
from the
>DX end can at times send the wrong signal.

        DX stations sending above 30 WPM on the low bands
        actually reduce their rate and promote more broken calls.
        25 to 28 WPM seems to work well for most cases.
        On long polar routes, with weak signals, QSB, and QRN,
        high speed is counterproductive.  Sending a call twice
        at 25 WPM takes less time than three times at 30 WPm
        and is more readily copied.   (N4KG)

>So please try some QRS+QRQ with 9M0C, it could be worth the extra time
> at  both ends!
>
>73 de
>Rolf
>SM5MX, XV7SW (I am still keeping the license)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]