TopBand: DXpeditions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: DXpeditions
From: JPalooka@aol.com (JPalooka@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 12:35:19 EST
In a message dated 98-02-19 10:47:51 EST, k6ur@lightspeed.net writes:

> How about topband ops taking along a list of fellow topbander big guns?
>  9M0C hears w8.. w8.i, he looks on the list, see's W8JI then starts
>  asking W8JI? W8JI comes back with r..r.....rrrr.... and qso's made...
>  Hey why not? This band is tough enough with poor condx and QRN, etc.
>
>  I thought working VP5 would be duck soup but Goose can't hear squat.
>  Someone tell him to clean his ears out, please. Plenty of W6/W7's
>  calling him but he not responding. Sheesh!

Hi Ron,
I know before I went to V31 in Dec/Jan that I had many requests for V31 on
160 and I took a list of those requesting QSO's there.  Unfortunately, at
times
conditions were such, I could not hear stations from the targeted area or they
could not hear me, ie. JA's were hearing me one morning at 0900Z! That was
way early for me to expect to hear them.  I was wrong.

Unfortunately, in the Caribbean, QRN levels can rise to very high levels, much
like the 9M0C guys are experiencing and even picking out the difference
between
W8JI and K8JP was impossible.  What I did recommend and worked for me was
to be on 80 or 40 before going to 160 and have the guys let me know that they
were going to be on 160 looking for me. It helped but it is still not a sure
thing.
The last 4 days there, my QRN was running nearly as high on the Beverage as
it was on the inverted "L".  I don't think Goose had the beverage(s) hooked up
yet, but he may have run into the same conditions I had.  In any case, the
gang
just got there and are busy, I'm sure, setting up yet for this weekend.

Top Band is difficult at best and that is what makes it such a great
challenge.
This year I experienced for the first time, "spot light" propagation where
signals
either fell short of me or extended pass me without opening in my area.  A new
experience for me, but I am sure the old timers have seen this before.

73 from K8Joe"Palooka" & Beverly,
K8JP, V31JP, VP5/K8JP, VP5JP, K8JP/VA2, ex-K8HKM, ex-KN8HKM
jpalooka@aol.com
K8JP@contesting.com
NIDXA/SMC/ARRL/HIDXA/QCWA
And read "The Contest Traveler" column in the NCJ
[\] NAUI Diver
New snail mail address:
Joe Pontek, K8JP
26441 Devaney Road