TopBand: KH1 Update

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: KH1 Update
From: kimo@lava.net (Kimo C. Chun KH7U)
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 20:07:27 -1000 (HST)
Hello Everyone,

Due to good seas the SS Midway will land the USFWS team on Baker
Island on Monday, 2 Feb 98 (local - 11 hours behind UTC). They
will proceed to Howland Island but will wait until sunrise Tuesday,
3 Feb, to land. Operations should last for about 6 days. They must
leave around the 9th or 10th to make it to Johnston KH3 to catch a
plane. If there is any possibility of them activating KH3, if even
for a few hours I will make an announcement to that effect.

If things go as planned the first stations should be on the air later
that day or that night. Thus you might listen for them before or after
0001 UTC on 4 Feb. This is 1 pm their time.

The calls to be used are as has been previously posted:

        KH1 / Howland   (SSB)   K4AU/WH1        QSL via K4AU

        KH1 / Howland   (CW)    WA4FFW/NH1      QSL via WA4FFW

I don't have the call they will use on RTTY but I imagine it will be
self evident. I will confirm soon after activation.

They also will have a station/beacon on 6 meters. Frequency undetermined
at this point. I will confirm also. Look on the JA 50 Mhz. web cluster as
they will be the most likely beneficiaries, initially. The VK spots may
also be a good place to look for activity.

At 0451 UTC 2 Feb 98 the SS Midway was at:

1 Degree 36 Minutes North;  173 Degrees West
making 10 knots in following seas.

Good luck to all.

Aloha, 73

Kimo Chun,  KH7U
member MKDXF & SSIDXG

For the:

Eric Edberg, W6DU Memorial, Pacific Expedition to KH1  /KH5 / KH5K