TopBand: CQ 160 SSB SOHP (Part 3, Long)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: CQ 160 SSB SOHP (Part 3, Long)
From: miltj@aepnet.com (Milt Jensen, N5IA)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 22:06:46 -0700
Part 3:

        I decide to go to bed for 4 hours and then get up and try the
Pacific.  That way I can stay awake during church meetings later in the day.
        Up and going at 0500.  I don't hear any Pacific stuff, nor anyone
else working any. I settle in to get what Qs I can.  I finish up with 13 in
the 1200 hour, 18 in the 1300 hour, and 9 in th 1400 hour.  Conditions are
quite good out to 1,500 miles.  N0IJ calls me from MN at 1304.  WE9A in IL
calls in at 1310, 15 minutes into daylight for me and almost 2 hours for
him.  W5XX in MS calls me at 1327, a full 2 hours after his sunrise.  I
check out at 1450, still hearing N0KOV in Kansas CQing on 1.820.

                        THIS IS MY TOP 10 AREAS FOR Qs.

                                CA = 117    almost 16%   Thanks guys & gals!!!
                                TX =  75
                                AZ =  64
                                IL =  39
                                CO =  30
                                PA =  29
                                OH =  28
                                WA =  27
                                NY =  25
                                MN =  20

                   OTHER NOTABLES CONSIDERING THE CONDITIONS

                                ME =   4
                                NH =   4
                                RI =   2
                                VT =   2

        What an experience.  I never would have predicted such an outcome.
I personally want to thank all the stations that contacted my station.
AND, an even bigger "Thank You", and my apologies, to all who tried to
contact my station and I couldn't pull you through.
For all those whom I didn't hear at all, PLEASE call next time.
        I suppose this example is why I love 160 Meters so much.  It is the
challenge.  And the conditions can change so rapidly.  Less than 39 hours
later I worked G3PQA and EI5HE on a perfectly quiet band.  And 6 hours
after that both ZL7DK and N6MZ/KH9 were in the log on the 1st call.  What
else can I say????
        I will not be operating the ARRL DX SSB this weekend as I need to
remove my Beverage antennas from the farmer's field.  He wants to plow and
get ready for the planting season.  Good luck to all, es CU all in WPX,
Field Day, and next season on TOPBAND!!!!

                                                    73 de Milt, N5IA