TopBand: Elevated GP vs. Vertical Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Elevated GP vs. Vertical Antennas
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson Courtesy Account)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 10:29:22 -0700
To: <topband@contesting.com>
>Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 14:24:19 EST
>
>On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 10:59:04 -0700 Eric Gustafson Courtesy Account
><n7cl@sparx.mmsi.com> writes:
>
>>(snip)
>
>"The correctly sized, sufficiently dense screen is superior to four
>resonant radials in close proximity to earth."
>
>>(snip)
>
>Please define "correctly sized" and "close proximity to earth" as used in
>this context.
>

>Tnx, 73, de Earl, K6SE

Sure Earl,

I thought I had done so in the original post.  But here is what I
had in mind when I wrote that.

1.  Correctly sized

    Large enough to extend to the edge of or just beyond the near
    field zone around the radiator.  For a full sized (or nearly
    so) 1/4 wave radiator this is a radius of approximately 1/4
    wavelength.  Significantly shorter radiators can get by with
    smaller screens.

    But there is danger in applying (2*(D^2))/W.  It is itself a
    rule of thumb.  However, for full sized linear radiators it
    works pretty well as long as the image element is included in
    D.

2.  Close proximity to earth

    Close enough so that the near field zone under the plane of
    the radials is in contact with the earth's surface.  With six
    or fewer radials, this is somewhere between 1/4 and 3/8
    wavelength.  But the loss is not terribly significant until
    the region between 1/8 and 1/4 wavelength is violated.  Below
    1/8 wavelength, the losses are considerable.  For amateur
    purposes, with four radials, less than 1/4 wave would be a
    reasonable definition to use.

    This height will decrease as the density of the radial screen
    is increased.  So the more radials that are used, the lower
    the base can be without incurring significant loss.  This
    holds up to a radial density that constrains the distance
    between the ends of the radials to 0.015 wavelengths.  At
    which point the radial plane can be coincident with the
    earth's surface without incurring significant loss _from this
    source_ (there will still be earth interaction loss in the
    far field zone beyond the screen limits).

73, Eric  N7CL