TopBand: Elevation Angle vs. Conductivity

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Elevation Angle vs. Conductivity
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson Courtesy Account)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:08:28 -0700
To: <topband@contesting.com>
>Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 22:17:49 -0800
>From: Bill Hohnstein <k0ha@navix.net>

Snip (chart showing improving efeciency with improving ground)

>The interesting thing was not the expected improved low angle
>radiation with improving conductivity, but rather that the
>radiation was better at the higher angles as well.
>
>73,  Bill     K0HA

EXACTLY!

This is exactly what I have been trying to get across.
Efficiency is efficiency.  Power not lost to heat is radiated as
field strength.  Improving the lower angle field strengths does
NOT take away from the higher angle pattern.  In fact, ALL of the
pattern is improved.  It does not matter how the ground
conductivity is improved.  Either artificial ground made with
radials or real ground (or water) that is highly conductive has
the same effect.  The only two important variables are:

1.  Conductive enough to prevent loss

2.  Large enough to cover the area of interaction

73, Eric  N7CL