TopBand: NL7Z echo

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: NL7Z echo
From: kl7y@Alaska.NET (Dan Robbins)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 21:48:04 -0900 (AKST)
K2WI wrote:

>So, the interesting thing is how do you get a strong signal out of Alaska
>in a southern direction?

KL7Y:  Good question, but it does happen.  I have worked VE1ZZ and others in
that area where there was every indication that the signal was backscattered
out of the south.  This has usually occurred in the summer and usually there
was severe multipathing.  I believe one time 'ZZ mentioned that he was also
receiving me out of the south.  Long path was not feasible and short path to
VE1 is a tough path for us due to auroral losses.  During the summer the
short path is further attenauted by ionospheric losses due to sun angle.  I
would venture to say that I have worked as many VE1s on this strange path as
I have on the normal short path.  It sounds like Kevin's experience was a
magnitude greater than what we have seen before.

                                                        Dan KL7Y