TopBand: CW segment

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: CW segment
From: jbmitch@vt.edu (John Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 14:05:25 -0400
At 08:04 AM 4/7/98 +0000, w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com wrote:
>I think it's about time we all got together and asked for a CW
>segment. That would at least eliminate the SSB ops who QRM DX.
>
>Did anything ever happen out of the last push? I asked the SE
>director, and he said it was a good idea. But I never heard anything
>else.
>73, Tom W8JI
>w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com

I don't know, but I'll try to find out.

Interestingly, this subject (a CW-only allocation for 160) was brought up
for discussion at the time at one of the large contest club meetings, and
the majority of the membership "decided" it wasn't a good idea.  I suspect
that a few top-loaded comments to the League from influential "big gun"
names may have quelled any burgeoning movement to make this needed change.
Or maybe this is just typical of the inertia that sets in when something new
is proposed.   It certainly had a lot of momentum about this time last year,
as I recall, with a clear majority (80%) responding to a survey on this
reflector PREFERRING a CW sub-band of some type.

Why don't we make this issue a priority with the League once more?  We
might, for instance, bring this up at Dayton at the FCC/ARRL forums on
Sunday?  Just a thought; I hate to see really needed initiatives such as
this one "die on the vine."

73
John K4IQ