TopBand: 160m Beverage transformer core material?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160m Beverage transformer core material?
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 14:14:16 EDT

>This has been covered before, but let me briefly repeat some
>important points.
>
>What you want is a core material with an ui (permeability) that
>has the highest possible value on 160, and gradually decreases
>at higher frequencies. That insures the transformer has the highest
>possible winding impedances with the least amount of turns.

Hi Tom, I know we have been thru this before a year + ago and we agreed
on most...sounds like a new audience!

I prefer to have a Beverage be useful at least thru 20M and have selected
the FT114-61 core with 16T quadrifilar as the best compromise here. On
160M thru 20M  I find no requirement for a preamp and find the Beverages
quite a benefit on the higher bands during periods of percipation static.

Note I said compromise and not peaking on 160M.
I also 110% agree about staying away from those dummy load cores in the
Beverage books, etc. Also stay away from any so called xfmr/preamp using
SMD devices.....just a hint of RF and they are into IMD big time.

73  Carl   KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]