TopBand: Rx noise figure

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Rx noise figure
From: n9dx@michiana.org (Larry Higgins)
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 19:39:03 -0500
Something I've wondered about for some time: if daytime 160 beverages
require only an amp having a 5 db noise figure or better, and nighttime 20
db or better, why do we need preamps at all?  I would have thought that
even the worst receiver out there would do better than a 5 db noise figure,
let alone 20 db.

On the other hand, since virtually everyone either uses a preamp or says
they are necessary, there must be a reason.  I see some other postings
which say that receiver noise figures really aren't that good.  Are they
really that bad?

Larry, N9DX