TopBand: Re:High input intercept devices

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re:High input intercept devices
From: yo3ctk@alltrom.ro (YO3CTK)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 14:08:09 +0300
Hi Tom,

The figures you quote are consistent with what I have measured in my
amplifiers using 2N5109. About 8dB gain and 1 to 50MHz bandwidth (with
correctly designed transformer), and input VSWR less than 1.5.

The reason of introducing a pre-amplifier into the receiving line is to
establish a low noise figure for the system. Although this may be not
important for 160m only, it is certainly a dominating factor when designing
a 1 to 30MHz receiver. I have no experience with loops, but I worked with
small HF receiving antennas (whips and similar) and they need a signal
boost, too.

73 de Mike, YO3CTK