TopBand: Umbrella Antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Umbrella Antenna
From: kaufmann@ll.mit.edu (John Kaufmann)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 98 14:14:03 -0400
K0HA posted an inquiry about slant wire parasitic directional
vertical arrays.  The ARRL Antenna Compendium, Vol 4.,  has
an article by KB8I on this concept.  Also the May 1997 issue
of QST has a followup article by KB8I on this antenna in the
Technical Correspondence section.  The bottom line is an
easy way to add gain to an existing tower vertical installation
with simple wires.

K1VR and I have another variant on this idea, which  I call a
"poor man's 4-square".   By hanging some  wires carefully
tuned to function as parasitic elements from the tower, one
can obtain a compact 4-direction switchable array with nearly
the same gain as the 4-square but taking up much less space.
If you have a single tower and enough space to hang a 160
dipole, you can fit one of these arrays.  I did the computer
modeling development on it and K1VR and I have constructed
the first working prototype at his station.  Look for more
on this next month at Dayton where K1VR will be giving a
presentation on it.

73, John W1FV