TopBand: An unbearable lack of sleep and 3B7RF

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: An unbearable lack of sleep and 3B7RF
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 06:13:49 +0800
After chasing 3B7RF for some days at around my sunrise - and on one occasion
hearing them over an hour after that event - serious steps were called for.
The guys were obviously battling severe QRN and with the modest power levels
available in VK, this was going to be a tough one.  What this meant was
staying up virtually all night - on a work day.

It was Friday the 13th and it had been a hell of a day at work.  Tomorrow
was going to be worse, but, hey, we are talking about a very rare one here...

Activities commenced on 40m at around 1815Z (2.30am local).  After about 20
mins of calling I get a QSO and asked the question, "QSY 160?"  The operator
obliges with "2000Z."  Just to make sure, I decide to doze in the operating
chair, with the headphones on.

Unfortunately, the 40m conditions are fantastic, the stations are coming in
bucket loads and 2000Z comes around and they are still on 40m, wading
through the pile.  I decided to check 80m and there they are on 3.507.  Here
we go again...

After about 10 minutes, they are in the log on 80m and the operator tells me
a station will be on 160 in an hour.  This time I actually doze with the
headphones off.

At 2000Z I start listening seriously.  Nothing.  At 2140Z, a station signing
3B7RF appears at about RST 579 on 1826.5, saying "up 32."  A bit confused, I
call on 1832.  After about 5 minutes the station comes back to me and gives
me RST 539.  Quickly, I give the standard 5NN and go over - there is nothing
there, the station has disappeared.  I call frantically, but there is nothing...

The next night I am too exhausted to get up.  I finally haul myself out of
bed about half an hour before sunrise and switch the radio on.  There is
3B7RF at a good RST589, the best I have heard them, but my faith is gone.
This one is just not meant to be.

After calling for 15 minutes or so, with signals going up and down, 3B7RF is
finally in the log.  I wonder why I stayed up the previous night...  Hell, I
am a 160m operator and crazy as a cut snake - this is the kind of thing we do.

Now for the JT...what fun!

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ