TopBand: No joy from DJ2EH

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: No joy from DJ2EH
From: ni6t@best.com (Garry & Yelena)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 23:57:07 -0700
I received my cards the other day from DJ2EH for YJ0ADJ in April. The
good news was a fine-looking card for a 15m RTTY QSO. The bad news was
my own card for 80 and 160, annotated with "sri, not QRV!" on 160 and
"sri, not in my log" on 80. Dick also returned most of the IRC's I had
sent along.

My "QSOs" were on 15 April, his last day in Vanuatu. I was up all night
working on taxes, hearing zip as various stations called at intervals
through the night. At 1300Z, still dark here, W6UC made a Q--no word as
to whether his was "good." At 1320 a small group of westcoasters was
calling a bit above 1828 and shortly thereafter, as sunrise neared, I
heard the station, clearly signing YJ0ADJ.  It became clear he was
working JA's and I joined several other NA stations in the window.

At that point, one of those stations began sending my call repeatedly on
1828, apparently to "punish" me for daring to call. Through the QRM, I
heard the weak DX come back to me and give me 559. I completed the Q,
witnessed by several of the brethren, right at sunrise, after which he
rocketed back down into oblivion.

For good measure, I worked him on 80, 20 minutes later, and was
congratulated for my 160 Q. Given that, learning now that I was taken in
twice was a total bummer. I hope whoever the joker was--ZL, VK, JA or
whatever--enjoyed himself.

I am curious to know just when Dick actually quit the band.  K6UR
received a card for his Q at 1045Z. W6UC has not yet received his card
for his effort at 1300. I would appreciate if anyone reading this who
was QRV that morning would drop me a line and tell me how he fared.
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
160 meters: not a band, but an obsession