TopBand: AEA Complex Impedance Analyzer (and MFJ)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: AEA Complex Impedance Analyzer (and MFJ)
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:12:28 +0000
To: <topband@contesting.com>
> Date:          Sat, 20 Jun 1998 09:56:36 +0000
> From:          Dave_K9NX <n7ex@athenet.net>

Hi Dick and Dave and all,

I'll post this because it's related to a common 160 complaint on
analyzers, any other responses will be e-mail only on this topic.

> >Has anything been done to increase the output signal level
> >or include a filter in the MFJ-259?
> >73, Dick -K5QY
>
> 1) The Autek RF-1 has the same problem by the way.
> 2) Does anyone know if the the new AEA unit also has the same
> susceptability to external (AM broadcast band) signals?
> Dave

All analyzers of this type use broadband detectors instead of
selective receivers. Increasing power is impossible mainly because of
battery drain. The power increase would be phenomenal (about 10
to 20 dB) just to help a tiny bit!

I am working on a filter that goes between any analyzer and the
antenna adding at least ten dB of out-of-band rejection with NO
change in analyzer performance on 160 through ten meters. When
finished and if someone markets it, I'll post it here.

Ten dB may not be enough to eliminate all ill effects in all cases,
but it should knock a big dent in most problems.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com