TopBand: good commercial 160 ant?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: good commercial 160 ant?
From: n2nl@netpci.com (Dave Mueller)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:56:28 -0700
Hi guys....I'd like some input on this question if you don't mind.

I'm looking for a good, commercially made, 160m vertical.  The titanex
verticals look great, but are a little too tall for my home and way out
of
my price range.  I am looking for something in the 45 foot height range.

One I have been looking at is the Gladiator brand.  I know a 1/4 wave
vertical would be ideal, but the trade winds are too strong for balloon
verticals.  I guess a kite antenna would work but again, the trade winds

are quite finicky and at times during the night it gets dead calm.
    Bottom line is that I'm looking for something not too tall so I can
install
it at my house (radials are not a problem), but effective enough to work

into Europe and the East coast with a KW and beverages.  Ideally, then I

could bring it with me up to Tinian or Saipan to put KH0 on the air, and

possibly KH9 as well sometime during my remaining 2 years out here.
   Is there some animal out there that fits my needs, or am I just
dreaming
and need to look at other ideas for an effective antenna? (the largest
trees
here max out at about 30-40ft, so I doubt an inverted L would be that
effective)

Thanks for the input,
73, Dave N2NL/KH2
Hopefully back on topband again starting sometime in November

N2NL@NETPCI.COM
WWW.GUAM.NET/PUB/MIDXA