TopBand: Balloon Antenna Safety Issues

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Balloon Antenna Safety Issues
From: jkjones@fn.net (Jon K. Jones)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:34:18 -0500
Good comments about safety issues in regard to low flying aircraft from
a moored balloon supported antenna. The "near miss" by the MD-80
reported in the CQ article concerned me when I read it. Other potential
problems are low flying helicopters such as air medi-vac units and
ultra-light aircraft (which do fly at night!) One needs to evaluate the
balloon flying site to see if it is an airport approach pattern or area where
these aircraft are active. The applicable FAA Regulations state that
as long as the balloon and line/wire together weigh less than 5 pounds
there are no restrictions as long as the balloon antenna presents NO
hazard to people, property or aircraft.
A hazard mentioned but not fully discussed in the CQ article is atmospheric
static charge build up on the wire. A substantial static charge can build
up on a 250 to 500 long wire even in non-threatening weather and if
it discharges through your chest it can knock you down or even cause
a cardiac arrest. Three inch long sparks have been reported from a 600
foot long kite supported wire antenna on clear nights.
The 1/4 wave balloon vertical on 160M should present less of a potential
hazard in regard to these safety concerns and is much easier to deploy
and match. - Jon N0JK