TopBand: CQ 160 Rules

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: CQ 160 Rules
From: lz2cjvis@mbox.digsys.bg (Valeri Stefanov)
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 22:24:04 +0300

 Greetings from Bulgaria to all members of the group ,

 I fully agree with what Riki 4X4NJ is suggesting. I think
it is time to make CQ 160 contest a 48 hours contest. Most
of the participants in this one are really TOP BAND addicts
and I think everybody else similarly to myself will be
happy to stay longer on the THE BAND especially during  our
favourite contest. Moreover, such a time period is more
fair for all.

 Unfortunately I was not able to be in the contest for past
years, but I am seriously getting ready for next ones. Just
checked out a new QTH yesterday at 1330m above sea level on
a mountain peak. If you are interested ,you may find it on
the map - I am just three peaks east ( Hi ) from BOTEV peak
, 20 km away from Gabrovo . Station will be located right
in the geographical center of Bulgaria. Even some of
you will eventually be able to try the station for next CQ
160 m and other contests in 1999 , because every foreigner
with the valid license in his country can come and operate
from LZ without the
need to apply  for a license to any authorities here.
( Due to the new changes of the Law made recently)

You simply carry your license and right after you have
left the airplane you in fact can sign LZ/ W 1 ??? ; LZ/DL
1?? or else !!!

There is a very nice and relatively cheap hotel at this
place ( 30 US $ per night for a REAL FOUR stars hotel room
with nice bath ,furniture as in Sheraton, SAT TV & phone,
central heating in the winter ) plus restaurant (full lunch
- 10-20 US $ per person ),sauna- 4 US$/15min, tangentor
bath-tub 4 US$/per hour , fitnes hall - 2 US$/hour,
solarium - 3 US $, masage - 6 US$ and even skiing during
the winter, if you
plan for Multi Op.participation - Hi.
This nice recreation place is just 10 min away( by
walking)  from the future station location - tourist
cottage (with bath and WC at the same floor with operating
room ) at LZ geographical center.

Must tell you that  receiving was fantastic there even
with a simple long wire ( some kind of a beverage - one end
5m high and the other just  1.5m from the ground slooping
towards WEST 270 deg.).
If, all goes well there must be an FT 847 / 1 KW PA and 2
el.Inv. Vee antenna with Vees spaced 20m installed 15 m
high & phased 135 Deg.
East/ West. plus full set of  beverages.( we'll try
vertical later ). TITANEX LP 5 is planned for higher bands
+ couple of wire made yagies towards USA
and JA .

So, let's pray we'd be able to make it until CQ WW DX SSB
in October at least for 160m.

 See you All  on THE BAND soon !!!

Best 73's
Wally