TopBand: 1:16 Balun Xfmrs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 1:16 Balun Xfmrs
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:30:14 EDT
Many thanks to all who replied to my query about 1:16 baluns for use with
the Pennant, Flag and Diamond receiving antennas.  Many different
configurations for the transformer were suggested.

>From comments by W8JI, real-world testing by W7IUV, and modeling by
EA3VY, it has become obvious to me that F/B ratio is severely degraded
by:

1) Direct feed with coax
2) Other non-isolation of the feedline from the antenna (i.e.,
"autoformers", etc.)

I also suspect that an "unun" might also not be the best answer.

On-the-air tests between K6NDV and myself (both of us have Pennants fed
directly with coax) have shown the F/B to be no better than 10 dB.
Modeling by EA3VY shows the F/B is degraded to about 8 dB when direct-fed
with coax.

Therefore, it appears to be essential that a proper transformer be used
at the feedpoint to isolate the feddline from the antenna.  I haven't yet
decided which configuration to use here, but W7IUV's results with his
design and the design suggested by W8JI are on the top of my list.

Tom's (W8JI) design uses a 73 material "binocular" core, with a 2-turn
primary (#29 AWG) and an 8-turn secondary (#26 AWG) wound on top of the
primary.  Tom said, "The core is about 1" long and 1/2" thick, and is
commonly stocked".  (By whom?)

Larry's (W7IUV) design is a FT50-43 core with 7 turns of #29 AWG for the
primary, and 28 turns of #29 AWG for the secondary, with the primary and
secondary windings separated as much as possible on the core.

73, de Earl, K6SE

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]