FW: TopBand: Re: Beverage Terminator Protection

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: TopBand: Re: Beverage Terminator Protection
From: SKELTTOM@Gateway.com (Skelton, Tom)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:44:01 -0500

<snip>

> As I stated,  I have not tried this approach, but it may be better than
> replacing terminating resistors...  The idea is to put the neon in
> parallel
> with the terminating resistor, such that when the firing voltage of the
> neon
> is reached, it fires and conducts, thus protecting the R from over-current
> and damage...
>
> Looking in the current Mouser catalog, most neons fire around 65/90V, with
> current ratings of anywhere from 300ma to 8.0 Amps.  Unfortunately, a
> conventional 480 ohm terminating resistor would require a power
> dissipation
> of almost 9 watts to handle 60V continuously.  Four 2K/2w resistors in
> parallel should do the trick...
>                                               73- George, W4BUW

----------------------------

(Hi George from your fellow, and temporarily - transplanted, South
Carolinian!)

For my Beverages, I've followed this approach anyhow.  My termination
resistors are made from several 2W resistors in parallel, with the lead
lengths minimized.  My unun is an FT-240-43, which is a 2.4 inch core
of type 43 material.  Wire size is 22 - 24 awg.  WHY??? Because I didn't
have
a rig/setup that automatically switched out the Beverage on receive, and
I frequently slammed 1200W into the unun/Beverage.  A few of these slip-
ups caused me to design the system for my own personal late - night
FUBAR's.

cheers

73, Tom W4iU