TopBand: Fwd: Re: Top Band Digest V1 #540

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Fwd: Re: Top Band Digest V1 #540
From: AE7H@webtv.net (DON TAYLOR)
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 12:05:44 -0700 (MST)

--WebTV-Mail-312988002-897

From: AE7H@webtv.net (DON TAYLOR)
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 10:50:08 -0700 (MST)
To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Top Band Digest V1 #540

I have used both methods ie slingshot and fishing pole to put antennas
up over pine trees
here in northeastern Arizona.

There was an article in I believe QST a few years ago about taking a
slingshot purchased at K mart   or Walmart that had a wooden insert in
the handle and mounting an inexpensive fishing reel to the handle.  That
I built and used.  It was by far the best method that I have ever used
to string antennas over trees.

What I found effective was to take 1 oz fishing sinkers that are bell
shaped with the wire out of the top to attach the swivel and paint them
floresent orange so you can find them when they come down.  Also it
helps to put some red flanel string or ribbon about six inches long also
tied to the sinker.  They are hard to see after the line comes down
through the trees.

When you get the fishing line to come down over the top of the chosen
tree,  use nylon plumb bob line and pull it back ove the tree with the
fiishing line.  It is relativly inexpensive.
With the nylon cord which is very strong, you can then pull uv resistant
hay bale twine back over again that you can pull the wires up with.
The hay bale twine will handle about 700 pounds and will take a lot of
abuse in the tree limbs.  It helps to use bungie cords at each end of
the line to buffer the wind movement of the trees.

I wish I could remember the year and article author in QST so I could
give credit but I cant remember and my QST mags are in storage due to
recently moving.

Have fun 73  Don AE7H

--WebTV-Mail-312988002-897--