Risp: TopBand: A really quiet location

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Risp: TopBand: A really quiet location
From: scaroni@ntt.it (Scaroni Giulio)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 20:47:50 +0200

Hi Steve & Tom,

if your location is not a dream location for topband Dxers what is it?
I have my antenna in a open field that is about 2/3 miles far from a little
town, but the noise that i have is really incredible.
The tower is used to rebroadcast the local Tv end Fm station, and it is
high or long exatly 80 meters from the ground, the ground is really good
with a condictivity of 5 or better mS/m reported by a study from our RAI
technical department to check the AM propagation for local station.
So the noise is on my W/E 2 element slooping dipol K3LR configuration is
about 6 to 7 in daytime, increasing to 9 in nightime, all in SSB with the
2.4 KHZ filter.
When the WX is not better the crash may arrive to 30 db over 9.
Another big problem is that the town is exatly in NA direction, so after
that the lamp that is used on the street in switch on, the noise on the W
slooping dipole go up of about 6 to 10 dB, means 10 over 9 in USA
direction.
The noise disappear in my sunrise when the lamp is switch off.(hi, hi, many
and many time i have tought in my turbated nigth dream to damage all the
entire lamp system of the town).
So, i have tried many test the last winter, i have put on the tower a delta
loop full size becoming with feeding the vertical arm for vertical
polarizazion, noise was much higher than slooping dipole, later i have feed
the delta in the low orizontal arm up about 15 meters from the ground, the
noise was dropped about 18 dB, but also the gain referred to the slooping
sistem was 18 dB lower on low angle so Dx will became a prolblem.
Than i have put a beverage 280 meters long to NA and also a low dipole
about 1.5 meters up.
Incredible, the noise was absolutely less than 1 on my Smeter, the S/N was
really much more better than my vertical system.
The low dipole was really a goal during my sunrise, where the signal was
sametime much stronger on the low dipole 1.5 meters up from the ground than
the vertical (80 meters up hi,hi) with the east coast of NA, while it was
really mute for the JA signal for example, or in night time qso with the
central USA.
The beverage was better in all the time, expecially in SSB qso where was
really no noise.
So, now i do not have any bev or low dipole in the field, hope really to
put also this winter samething, but the farmer seems not so happy like
me,hi,hi.
Now you know why many time you have tried to answer me without back from NA
in the last winter, i am really sorry, and you can,t now how many, but the
noise is really the bigger limitation on the really fantastic Top Band.
So, when i'll lock for another home location, before to check the home
probably i'll check the noise level,..... or no, my wife is
reading.............hi.

73 all fm Giulio IK2DED.