TopBand: Condx this morning

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Condx this morning
From: csus04@lmpsil02.comm.mot.com (Raymond Dave-CSUS04)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:15:14 -0500

Woke up early this morning and got to the radio about 0915z.  Heard Tom,
W8JI working VK3ZL (Bob) on 1832 who was weak but copyable here.  Tom was
running antenna comparisons with Bob.  When he finished I worked Bob at
0930z and gave him a 449 report.  When I finished with VK3ZL, I tuned down
the band and heard a loud station calling CQ on 1827.  It was so loud I just
assumed that it was a stateside station.  Turned out it was T32MP, pounding
in at an honest 589/599!  He was so strong I just about fell out of the
chair.  I don't think I've ever heard a Pacific DX signal (except KH6CC) on
topband that loud.  Anyway, worked him first call and listened to him work a
large pile of stations for over an hour.

For those of you who saw my earlier comments about struggling with my 2 wire
beverages, I finally got them working.  I have two of them up that are each
580' long.  Am seeing up to 25 db front/back on 160, 80 and 40 mtr signals,
although most DX signals run between 15 and 20 db f/b. I'm happy with that!

73 to all. . . Dave
W0FLS