TopBand: K6RO/FG this morning

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: K6RO/FG this morning
From: k6ro@earthlink.net (Larry Shapiro)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 05:25:59
Dear Steve and all fellow topbanders,I just got in from FG and found this
message while brousing through 1300 plus messages.I will clarify what
happened on 160m while in FG.

I did not refuse to work anyone.I worked everyone that I could copy their
full call.
I never intended to get on 160m,but I had so many requests by SCDXC members
and other CA stations,that I told the guys that I would make an effort to
get them in the log.

We put up a simple 160m wire antenna for tx and rx.We did not have the time
to build any other type of receiving antenna.We did not have any noise
filters etc.The storm in the area was causing 20 over 9 QRN.Plus there were
2 other stations in the shack that were causing me difficulty.Along with
the Alpha 76a having an intermittant relay that I had to tap on each time I
went from tx to rx.This made it a real challenge to work anybody !!

I only said NO EU one time in the 3 hours that I was on.This was because I
had just begun to hear a few 6's and 7's.

I understand how important a new one is on top band,so I did a few things
to help the cause.
Our group left all the antennas we made there for the next group that will
be coming for CQWW CW.I also talked to Georges,FG5BG about the need for FG
on 160m.He said that he will be putting up a real 160m ant at his other qth
and do his best to work all who need him.He has a very large backyard,so
space will not be a problem.Sorry if I upset anyone,but I tried my
best.73,de Larry K6RO