TopBand: Inverted-L

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Inverted-L
From: n7ex@athenet.net (Dave_K9NX)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 19:39:19 +0000
At 11:21 AM 10/31/98 -0800, Russell A Scofield wrote:

>I plan to put up an Inverted-L for 160.  Do I need a balum?  Can I feed
>it with ladder line?  Is the longer the better or should I stick to +/-
>170 feet.
>73 and DX,
>Russell, kf6ham

1) Absolutely no balun required, this is not a balanced feed antenna.
2) 170' is a little long, 135' would be more like it and probably a 2:1
UNUN transformer to match it to 50 ohms, or if you make it 170' long as you
suggested it will match pretty close to 50 ohms but you will need 300 to
500 pf in series with the feed point to tune out the extra length. How much
C depends on lots of things, height of the vertical portion and how good a
set of ground radials are the biggest factor usually. Plan on at least 30
radials and more would be better.
3) You can feed it with ladder line but I don't personally recommend it,
especially since the Inverted L is so easy to match to 50 coax.
4) In the case of the L longer is not always better.....

Good luck
Dave
K9NX