TopBand: YO2LDC and 'QSX JA'

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: YO2LDC and 'QSX JA'
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 05:00:02 +0800
YO2LDC had a solid RST 579 signal in here for about 20 minutes on 1826.8
around my sunrise (2105Z) until about 2118Z in the IARU Contest.
Unfortunately, he was always QSX in the JA window during this time.

As a result, Y02LDC missed a Zone 29 QSO and I missed a new country.  I
think he also missed DS5RNM, who was copying him, but could only operate
between 1820 - 1825.  In VK, we can only operate as high as 1875.

I understand at this time of year the conditions from EU and Africa are good
into JA, but PLEASE COULD RARE STATIONS FROM THESE AREAS WHO ARE WORKING
INTO JA AT LEAST CHECK THEIR OWN FREQUENCY EVERY NOW AND AGAIN - or even
check the OH 160m reflector to see if some DX from the Asia/Pacific Rim is
trying to attract their attention.

I am not sure how common YO is on the band, but in around 4 years of almost
daily operation at VK6 sunrise, YO2LDC was the first YO station I have heard
(apart from IS0/YO3RA!).

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ

PS Unfortunately I didn't work DS5RNM either - he would have been a new
country too...