TopBand: //Beverages\MFJ-1026

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: //Beverages\MFJ-1026
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 00:36:46 -0800
I'm finally starting to see results in this year's Beverage
installation.  To facilitate better use of use of my MFJ-1026 noise
canceling device I decided to install parallel Beverages with
separate feedlines.  For a variety of reasons (modeling and test
results) I decided to space them 6 feet and stagger feed them by
140 feet:

coax------------------------------------------------487 ohm
          coax------------------------------------------------487 ohm
   ^ 140'    ^      881' (40 degrees)/610' (268 degrees)      ^

The delayed started Beverage on the 610' pair is actually actually
terminated with 510 ohms.
Evaluation on 160 has been limited by the poor conditions.  I have
seen the expected gain/improved signal-to-noise with dual Beverages.
The nulling ability is much improved over last years non-parallel
Beverages.  Unusual phasing appears to have the ability to raise
favored elevations and produce some unusual azimuth patterns at the
expense of reduced sensivity (not a problem).
With conditions less degraded on 80 more testing has been done there.
Talking only in terms of reception compared to my transmit vertical
array (which has been improved over last year's), the improvement
with the parallel Beverages was quickly noticed.  Plus the nulling
ability is enhanced...
Still more testing to be done--Beverages to put up.  Besides the two
mentioned Beverages, the others will be single wire (this year).  4,422
feet of Beverage wire has been installed, with 1,761 left.  Hopefully
I'll be ready by this next weekend.  Then, "Let the games begin!"

73,  Bill     K0HA