TopBand: Shunt fed tower with wide band width

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Shunt fed tower with wide band width
From: leewells@lexmark.com (leewells@lexmark.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 13:57:58 -0500 (EST)
I decided to take down my inv-L that was hanging beside my 72 ft Trylon tower
and try to gamma feed the tower.  (The L also interfered with a sidemounted
antenna!).  To keep the L out of the path of the sidemounted antenna, I tried
moving the L closer to the tower (it was about 5 ft away).  But as I got closer
the real part of the impedance went upwards of 100 ohms (according to my
MFJ-259B).

I got the gamma feed working last night, but I'm surprised at the bandwidth.
Its around
260 kHz!!!  I was expecting something much sharper.