TopBand: FT5ZH and condx

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: FT5ZH and condx
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 06:12:14 +0800
Topband has taken a bit of lift here with strong European signals most
mornings at sunrise here (around 2104Z).
Propagation has been less 'spotlighty' than previous weeks, with signals
coming in at the same time from as far west as CT1FGW and EA6ACC, excellent
signals from SM and LA (with LA3XI often RST 599) and good signals from
middle Europe (Bernd DF3CB a solid 589 today).

Owing to work and family committments, I have not made it on much around
sunset, but last night there was a solid but unspectacular opening into the
North American east coast.  Signals from W1/W2/W3 averaged 559, with W3GH
and K1VW a couple of 'S' units down from their usual 'good opening' levels,
but W4DR in VA was a solid 57/89 last night, so it looked like propagation
was favouring the south.

This morning (18/12/98), conditions sounded down to start with, just BV4ME
coming through on around 1830 at a solid 589 and lots of noise.  I just sat
in the chair, took the cans off and read a book.  Luckily, a few minutes
before local sunrise, I checked the band again and heard strong European
signals - and FT5ZH was heard calling CQ JA on 1829.87 at a solid S6.

After a few calls on their Tx frequency, FT5ZH came back for country no.
136, which was very pleasing.  A few minutes later, as they faded out with
me, I think the op started to work European stations, listening 5 (?) up.

To finish the morning off, several European stations were worked up until
about 15 minutes after sunrise.  Conditions may have been more spotty than
last year, but there is plenty of life in the topband down here.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ