TopBand: FT1000MP RX Input?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: FT1000MP RX Input?
From: ni6t@best.com (Garry & Yelena)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:24:33 -0800
K5NZ@aol.com wrote:

> >  Just a reminder to all using the FT1000D, the aux receive input is not
> >well protected from excessive RF on its input. In an attempt to slightly
> >improve my rx antenna situation I connected up a relatively low 160M-40M
> >trap dipole to its input. On my small suburban lot the dipole is within 20'
> >of the Inv L. Even though I was observing over 10W impinging upon it, prior
> >to connecting it to the aux receive input,  I had assumed the radio would
> >open the line when transmitting. It does not and it took less than one
> >character to smoke my 12db pad (and as a consequence my 18db selection
> >also).
>
> Does anyone know if the MP has this same problem or did they make a change on
> the RX input to isolate during xmit?
>
> Thanks  Mike k5nz

I recently investigated this in response to a private query from Kenny,
K2KW, by examining the schematics in the shop manual, and by querying
the tech support folks at Yaesu, via email.

You will be pleased to learn that--during transmit--the relay at the
input side of the RF board defaults and opens the connection to the RX
antenna input, if that has been chosen.
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
160 meters: not a band, but an obsession